Thursday 12 April 2018

All at sea....


I love swimming, I think that's now well known, and I've been gazing at the sea and longing to plunge under the waves for weeks, but it's still a little chilly here, so what to do?

A boat trip?

A friend had decided to pop over for some R&R and to de-stress because we're really good at that in these parts, so that clinched it.

Les Sept Îles...




We boarded the boat and sat upstairs at the back. Now I am a notoriously bad sailor, famous in the family for my green complexion and tendency to throw up when the dreaded mal de mer strikes, as it has done on every one of the more-than-fifty crossings I've taken with Brittany Ferries, and let us not even recall the times when my brother-in-law took me sailing in the Solent on his yacht.

This time there was a fresh wind blowing and the sea looked choppy and I was slightly concerned that I might need the bag I'd brought along, just in case, but happily all was well.

Of course les Sept Îles are, in fact five islands, the name being thought to be due to an error in writing the original Sentiles, which amuses me since I am a freelance proofreader, but there are some large rocks that could, at a pinch, count as islands.



   
The first stop was to see the birds nesting on l'île Rouzic...




The gannets were present in large numbers.
As we watched many were flying in with strands of seaweed in the beaks, busy nest-building, others had already completed their second-home renovations and were engaged in mating rituals.




The razorbills were bobbing about in the waves. Apparently they mate for life and lay one single egg each spring.




Cormorants always seem solitary. Lone sentinels standing guard.




The islands are now protected and a bird sanctuary so visitors are not permitted to land on them, save for l'île aux Moines.




But you wouldn't want to disturb the nesting birds or the grey seals who've also come to breed. And as the boat lingered near the rocks I did wonder if we weren't being too intrusive.




The final part of the boat trip took us along the coast off the Sentier des Douaniers.

What can I say?

This is my No 1 Playground to which I return at least once a week, sometimes three or four times.

The rear view of the chateau de Coastèrés, my muse and my happy place...




While we were cruising and admiring the rocks a dolphin appeared above the waves.

People, I am in my early sixties, I have horrendously arthritic knees, thanks to a lifetime of skiing and squash playing and I am still affected by my cancer treatment, but I was so excited by the appearance of a dolphin that I climbed onto my seat and perched on the back, the better to view him. 




And that, I think, is why I love Brittany so much.
It is here, in this region of tree-covered hills, pink granite rocks, sandy beaches and wild places that I have rediscovered the feisty little tomboy kid I once was. 




I am running wild and loving it!




Oh, and the puffins, you may be wondering if we saw any puffins?
No, not yet on the islands. It's too early in the season.
Next time I will give you puffins...




Useful Info:
Head for Perros Guirec and the Trestraou beach
There is free parking, follow the signs.   
We ate lunch at Les Régates on the Boulevard Joseph le Bihan.
The cheeseburger was the best I've ever eaten.
The boat trip leaves from the far end of the beach at the gare Maritime.
Book a day in advance and arrive twenty minutes before departure to pay and receive your tickets.
Take binoculars, sun cream and, if you like and he's well-behaved, your dog.
After the boat trip you'll want to go to Le Glacier des Sept Îles back on the Bvde Joseph le Bihan for a salted caramel ice cream and please, mention to them that plastic spoons are unnecessary but if they must provide a spoon could it be wooden?

Here's the link to the Brittany Tourism page    
and one for the Perros Guirec Gare Maritime for booking info



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Your comments are welcome and appreciated